Philippines Backpacker Guide: 10 Most Beautiful Islands in the Philippines
Post by Sameena Farooq | May 08, 2019
This post is about adventures in the Philippines. If you are an adventure lover and love to try different things then here are some best islands of the Philippines that will be ideal for a backpacker. Find some interesting place options and see some best and attractive things to do on the islands. Along with, don’t forget to pre-book your hotels and flights.
Travelling to the Philippines for a backpacking experience is the best place you can plan your visit. The Philippines is the country full of adventurous opportunities and over 7,000 islands that make traveller seek the best time. The two islands of Philippines have been declared as “Best Island in the World”. It’s a country that seeks for surplus naturally rich and culturally diverse islands.
With over seven thousand islands, backpacking in the Philippines is a different experience for travellers who travel around the rest of South East Asia. It is a vast country that stretches across the North Pacific Ocean and is a loved land of pirates and smugglers, antique ethnic group and strange jungles, lively volcanoes and chocolate hills, heroic parties, and unoccupied islands. While backpacking in the Philippines, you cannot go wrong as there are multiple opportunities you will witness on every step you take.
The islands of the Philippines are the most lively and energetic where everyone can have fun and can indulge in great activities. The Cheap beer, gorgeous beaches, adrenaline pumping activities, genuine people of Asia, covers the heart of the country. On your visit, you will realize, how easy and friendly city in the Philippines where one can travel like a local. Only, you need to be aware of the places where you can explore and the rules to survive in the country.
Being the most gigantic country and home to several islands, it’s a no secret that the country has a surplus of the naturally rich and culturally diverse island. But among the thousands, which one do you wish to explore?
Find here beautiful islands in the Philippines that are the best choice as a backpacker. You could book your flights online using Qatar Airways promo code to enjoy cheap rates booking.
1. Matinloc Island, Palawan
Matinloc Island is one of the famous tourist attraction and home to some of Bacuit Bay’s most famous places such as Matinloc Shrine, Secret Beach, and Hidden Beach. This island is among the top island visit on everyone’s list. Also, if you are visiting El Nido for the first time then Matinloc Island is a must visit for everyone. The stealthy beaches are well covered by the iconic El Nido’s limestone formations and Matinloc Shrine that offers the best panoramic views near the area. These are the stops that are must see along with the nearby Star Beach and Helicopter Island.
Things to do near Matinloc Island
- Island hopping at Payong-Payong Beach, Entaluala Island, Brother Island, Binangculan Bay, Snake Island and many more nearby islands.
- Take a boat tour and stop to snorkel adjustments
- Indulge in snorkelling, scuba diving, and fishing.
- Midnight Sun El Nido
2. Miniloc Island, Palawan
Besides exploring Matinloc, Miniloc Island also tops the list if you are on your El Nido trip. Matinloc Island is popular for its ambiguous beaches. Miniloc is one of the breathtaking aquamarine lagoons where one can explore the breathtaking aquamarine lagoons such as the Big Lagoon, Small Lagoon, and Secret Lagoon. The visitors can explore the beauty of the wonders of nature and go abroad in Kayaks that is also available on rent for visitors. Or you can book your hotels near your location by typing in “hotels near me” and get the finest results from Hotels.com. Also, use the unique Hotels.com promo code to book your stay at a budget price.
Things to do near Miniloc Island
- Dive at twin rock
- Dive near the surroundings
- Explore the limestone formations
- Island hopping for a day
3. Siargao, Surigao del Norte
The Siargao island has recently gained its popularity in the past years and is famously known as the “Surfing Capital of the Philippines”. Many surfers all over the world visit the island and catch the perfect Cloud 9 swell. Though it has been a surfer’s paradise, many regular beach lovers and vacationers also prefer discovering the island and get attracted by the beautiful rock and cave pools near the neighbouring islets, beaches, and some unexplored landscapes. The natural beauty of the island is undoubtedly the best thing to see, even many people call this as ‘the new Palawan’.
Things to do near Siargao
- Participate in the surfing competition
- Hire a Banca boat and enjoy fishing
- Take your mask and snorkel around
- Explore the island on a motorbike fun
- Go island hopping
4. Boracay, Aklan
Similar to Palawan, Boracay also holds the title of “World’s Best Island” for its powdery white sand beaches and glorious sunset views. It attracts travellers from all over the world, and popular for wear and tear through the years. The island is also known for its massive commercialization, oversaturated with the establishments and structure closely connected. Because of its sewage and waste problems, the Philippine president is making efforts to allow rehabilitation and to restore to its former glory.
Things to do near Boracay
- Get buzzed on a party cruise
- Go island hopping
- Take a trip to crystal cove
- Visit Ariel’s Point
- Check out Carabao island
- Go on the Indiana Jones Eco Tour
- Partake in the Hacienda Maria Tour
- Ride in a cable car or go ziplining
5. Calaguas, Camarines Norte
Another island that is popular among the backpackers is Calaguas. It is a group of Island located in the east of Manila in the region of Camarines Norte. The handful of islands, make this as the ideal place called Tinaga and most visited for its pristine big size three-kilometre area called Mahabang Buhangin. Not distinguished as Boracay or Palawan, the island of Calaguas remains untouched. Many other fancy stay options in the Philippines are not in Mahabang Buhangin. Therefore, it is named as popular so it has become a popular camping ground for the adventure lover. The island surrounds well to the rolling terrain and hiking trails that create an active alternative to mendacious on the beach.
Things to do near Calaguas
- Scuba diving/snorkelling
- Go Island and Beach Hopping
- Swimming/ Underwater diving
- Camping – carry food and water supply and related equipment.
- Surfing in Daet’s Bagasbas Beach
- Explore the old churches St. Peter the Apostle Parish of Vinzons, St. John the Baptist Parish of Paracale and bordering nearby localities
- Island and beach hopping around Calaguas Group such as Pinagtigasan Beach on the southern Tinaga Island, Calangcawan Sur, Cumalasag, Pinagtakpan, Cagbalisay, Bendita, Sang-atan, Pinagcastillohan, Balagbag Malaki, Guintinua, Huang, Balagbag Maliit, Mantigbi Beach and other popular white sand island beaches.
- See the popular Saltahan Falls, Palanas Falls, Malatap Falls, and other waterfalls.
6. Matukad Island, Camarines Sur
Matukad is the hidden gem and many locals are also not aware of this beautiful site. Near the islands around the Caramoan peninsula, the Camarines Sur came into limelight and got featured during several seasons in the long-running competition series, named as Survivor. The show offers a typical setting rendered ‘remote’ and ‘isolated’ and has a Caramoan islands look. The islands are a fine looking beautiful area which boasts fine-sand beach, lush forest backdrop and has a hidden lagoon. The lagoon is covered by a rising limestone cliff that offers a great scenic view of the natural pool. The water looks calm, clear, ideal for swimming, and climbing the rock wall.
Things to do near Matukad Island
- Island Hopping
- Rock climbing
- Explore the caves
- Climb up the Shrine of Lady of the Most Holy Rosary
- Explore the Parish of St. Michael the Archangel.
7. Lahos Island, Camarines Sur
Another extraordinary Caramoan island is Lahos. It offers a striking image and anyone who sees the major rock formations opposite each other get totally mesmerized by the beauty. The small beach stretches between them and makes a shoreline at the end of the island. This uncontaminated paradise in the Philippines makes a great place to simply lay back and laze around in its unprocessed attractiveness. Also, many backpackers visit this place and share beautiful pictures of the island on their social media page.
Things to do near Lahos Island
- Try Swimming under the water
- Scuba Diving
- Caramoan National Park
- Explore the Gota Beach
- Visit the nearby Matukad Island
8. White Island, Camiguin
The beach lovers find White island as a pure paradise situated in the Yumbing town and not away from the capital Mambajao. The island is well carved like an inverted C, it’s an island that has nothing popular but only jaw-dropping white sands. It’s famous among both locals as well as travellers because of its nearness and easy accessibility. You will not find any tree structure or sandbar, people rent out umbrellas in their stay. The magnificent views of the horizon and Mt. Hibok-Hibok are a sight that everyone cherishes near the island. Visit during the early morning to avoid scorching hot weather and see an even more notable scene. You can book your flights directly to the island using Etihad Airways promo code and land to the most beautiful islands of the Philippines.
Things to do near White Island
- Get wet in the Tuasan Waterfall, Binangawan Waterfall
- Visiting old churches and ruins
- Hiking the Volcano
- Go to seaside and islands
9. Apo Island, Negros Oriental
Apo is one of the popular islands in the Philippines. Here one can have the best time and explore some scenic beautiful locations. The island is surrounded fully by water and a protected marine reserve holds the coral gardens and bustling marine life that makes the island an ideal choice for backpackers. A protected marine reserve around the water makes Apo Island hold a magnificent coral garden and busy marine life. The Turtle sightings is a commonplace that is located near to shore thereby offer an exciting site both for snorkelling and diving. You could stay near the several wide options near the islands and explore the marine reserve and beauty.
Things to do near Apo Island
- View the nature and parks at David’s Trek
- Tour around Lagoon trail
- Stay near the Apo Island Lighthouse
- Underwater diving
- Take the mesmerizing view deck at Apo Island
- Explore the popular Marine Reserve
10. Batan Island, Batanes
Batan Island is undoubtedly the most distinct and most captivating destination in the Philippines. The archipelagic province of Batanes is located at its northernmost end. Also, there are many innumerable pristine beaches in the country which is similar to the rolling landscapes of Batanes. It has also been tagged as the province “The New Zealand of the Philippines”. There are more than 10 islands that make this province, among the 10, three are inhabited namely: Sabtang, Itbayat, and Batan. On your tour to the Batan island, you can take a breathtaking sight view such as the Valugan boulder beach (an enjoyable and unique change of scene as compared to the most typical Philippine beaches) Homoron Blue Lagoon, and Rauch A Payaman, are among the most popular place known as ‘Marlboro Country’. The tourists can experience some surreal view in every direction and can gaze animals on lavish pastures to some bold blue hues near the sea and sky.
Things to do near Batan Island
- Take the North Batan Tour and see the visually stunning landscape
- Take the South Batan Tour and explore the picture-perfect spot.
- Swim at the famous two spots— Homoron Blue Lagoon and Maydangeb White Beach.
- Mountaineering/ climbing
- Go island hopping
Backpackers surely have a good time exploring the above beautiful beaches in the Philippines. So, all the adventure lovers, plan your Philippines itinerary now and book your flight and hotels in advance from Trip.com and use the unique Trip.com promo code to book them at cheap prices.
Sign up to collect offers
- The Best Travel Destinations for Different Travellers in the Philippines
- Exclusive Beach Resorts To Consider To For A Wonderful Vacation To The Philippines!
- 3 Best Places To Travel In The Month of May!
- Enjoy An Extended Holiday And Save 35% On Selected Hotels!
- Top Destinations In Philippines For Couples!
- 3 Unique Hotels In Philippines To Consider For A Relaxing Holidays!
- 4 Ultimate Travel Bucket List Ideas!
- The Basic Travel Tips To Enjoy The Complete Summer Vacation!
- Make Your Holidays In Philippines Extraordinary With Hotels.com!
- Hotels In Philippines! A Perfect Retreat To Experience Nature's Charm!
on Your phone
Get your hands on our Mobile Apps for Android & iPhone for offers on the goDownload App